Develop your linocut skills with Jessica Rose this Spring. Linocut is one of the most accessible forms of printmaking, used by many famous artists including Degas and Picasso. In this course you will work with a highly experienced local printmaker and will quickly be able to create bold, expressive images using linocut techniques.
2 – 5pm
14 April – 26 May
Course Fee: £185 Adult (£170 Concessions)
Pay As You Go Fees: £30 per session Adult (£25 Concessions)
This seven week course is suitable for all skill levels. Whether you’ve done drawing and printmaking before or whether you’re a complete beginner – Jessica will guide you through the whole process and give you plenty of help and support.
- Designing an effective image, thinking creatively within the boundaries of the process
- Cutting lino safely and effectively using a variety of tools
- Printing by inking up a lino block and hand burnishing it or printing it on a table top press
- How to print in colour, using reduction and key block techniques
- Printing using unusual materials and techniques, such as collage and fabric
- How to sign and edition your prints, plus advice on framing
You will be provided with basic materials, such as ink and paper, but please also bring:
- Pencils and rubber
- Source material, such as your own photographs and sketches, to help you create an image to print
- Box/packet of latex gloves (to help you keep your hands clean when you’re inking up and printing)
- Linocutting tools. If you do not have any you can buy a set from OPEN Ealing for £14 each. If you want to buy a set of tools from us make sure you contact us least two weeks before the course starts so they can be ordered in time.
Linocutting can be quite hard on the hands so please bear this in mind if you have any problems with your joints. You may need to rest your hands regularly.
We will be working with oil-based inks, which take about a week to dry, so if you want to take wet prints home at the end of sessions it may be easiest to transport them by car. Or you can leave them in the drying rack in the classroom
Please be aware we will be using white spirit, which has a strong smell, to clean lino blocks and perspex sheets.
Develop your Linocut Skills is limited to 10 people. Book now!
About the Tutor
Jessica is an Ealing-based painter and printmaker and has exhibited with the Society of Women Artists, Chelsea Art Society and the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists.