Friday 11am – 1pm
17 April – 19 June
£15 per session – £135 if you pay for the course up front
10% discount for concessions
In this 10 week course, Dr Katie da Cunha Lewin takes you on a tour of 20th and 21st century American culture. We will explore and discuss literature, poetry, film, and photography in this 10-week course. Each session will be comprised of a short introductory lecture, reading excerpts and class discussion. Particular emphasis will be placed on work by women, LGBT people, and people of colour.
- Week 1: Introduction: Who’s America?
- Week 2: The poetry of Frank O’Hara
- Week 3: Feminist movements – focus on Audre Lorde and Angela Davis
- Week 4: American essay Joan Didion and Rebecca Solnit
- Week 5: American essay: Kiese Laymon
- Week 6: Hollywood and stardom
- Week 7: American photography
- Week 8: The short story: Grace Paley and Yiyun Li
- Week 9: The poetry of Claudia Rankine
- Week 10: Thinking about America in the 21st century
Why not continue the discussion over lunch? Course discount available at Reineta.
About the Tutor
Dr Katie da Cunha Lewin is a researcher, writer and tutor. She has a PhD in literature, specialising in the work of Don DeLillo and is the co-editor of Don DeLillo: Contemporary Critical Perspectives, published by Bloomsbury in 2018. She has taught film, literature and culture at the University of Sussex, Bishopsgate, Picturehouse Cinemas and City Lit. Her writing has been widely published at the LARB, The White Review, The London Magazine, the Irish Times, and the TLS.