Painting Portraits in Oils is an exciting new course for OPEN led by professional portrait artist and tutor, Stella Tooth. The course takes place over two weeks.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
9 – 11 AND 16 – 18 June inclusive
10am – 1 pm
Course Fee: £175 (£155 Concessions)
Limited to 7 artists
If you want to learn how to paint portraits in oils or improve your technique, this short course is for you. It is a practical course and we work with a live model. During the session you will learn the skills and concepts involved in painting portraits from life; including:
- proportion of the head and features
We shall provide the following equipment for Painting Portraits in Oils:
- Studio easel, chair and small table
- Non-toxic painting medium
- Large single use paper palettes
- Jam jar for holding wet brushes
- Space on a drying rack to hold one wet painting per artist between sessions.
You need to bring the following materials:
- 2 sheets A3 oil painting paper OR 1 x 12”x16” or 30x40cm canvas if preferred
- Paper & drawing materials (Charcoal) for preparatory work
- 2 flat brushes, palette knife/s
- Artist quality oil paints (for example Winsor & Newton)
- ivory black
- titanium white
- burnt umber
- cadmium red
- ultramarine blue
- cadmium yellow
- Optional Additional Colours
- cadmium lemon
- cobalt/cerulean blue
- alizarin crimson
- Rags or kitchen roll
- Small pot or jar with lid for painting medium (non-toxic medium provided)
- Baby wipes for messy fingers
- Plastic bag to take used brushes home for cleaning
About the Tutor
Stella Tooth is an Ealing-based figurative artist, specialising in portraiture and musicians.
As a member of the Lots Road Group of portraitists, she undertakes both painted and drawn portrait commissions of adults, children and pets and has portrayed well-known sitters, such as the BBC’s Kate Adie and John Humphrys.
She creates images which go beyond the photographic depiction of moments in time to capture lives lived up to this moment. In her busker and venue entertainer artworks, her focus is on capturing the creative energy of performing live and she is resident artist at iconic music venue the Half Moon Putney.
Winner of the Judges’ Prize at Egypt’s first biennale (2013), she has exhibited at the Milan Expo, the Royal Society of Portrait Painters and National Open Art exhibitions (2015). And she exhibits annually in BEAT (Borough of Ealing Art Trail) open studios.
She has taught drawing for six years in the inspiring surrounds of the V&A, National Portrait Gallery, The Courtauld and Tate Britain for Sketchout.
Visit Stella’s website https://stellatooth.co.uk/